Two U.S. Presidents

One sitting president and one future president attended the funeral of Congressman William Brockman Bankhead.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt President Harry Truman

From The Mountain Eagle newspaper September 19, 1940

William B. Bankhead died at the U. S. Naval Hopsital in Bethesda, Maryland. A short funeral service was held at 12:30 p.m. in the House of Representatives on Monday, Sept. 16, 1940. A special train for Jasper, Alabama, left Union Station, Washington, D.C. at 4:30 p.m. that afternoon and arrived at 11 a.m. in Jasper on Sept. 17th. Funeral rites were held at the First Methodist Church of Jasper where he was a member.

The President of the United States, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, along with his cabinet members, 63 members of the House of Representatives, 30 Senators and many other dignitaries attended the funeral. B. B. Speed, Chief of Police, estimated a crowd of 40,000 people who came to pay final tribute to one of Jasper's most beloved citizens.

Active ushers were Dr. A. C. Jackson, R. A. Argo, Dr. L.M. Walker, John Kilgore, W.D. Leake, E. W. Long, M. E. Nettles and Charles R. Wiggins. Honorary pallbearers were the Board of Stewards of the First Methodist Church, members of the Brootherhood Class of the Methodist Church, members of the Masonic Lodge No. 221 and members of the bar of the Seventh District. Ushers were G. T. Patrick, head usher; Bob Argo, Bob Kilgore, Bob Bruner, Al Blanton, C. O. Bostick, Robin Boteler, Bert Simmons, E. K. Barnes, Dr. Fred Haston, Lee Hamilton, John Primm, Charles Tweedy, Jr, William Ellis and R. R. Looney. The ushers were aided by Jasper Sea Scouts and Boy Scouts. Sam Watkins, Dora; Albert Boutwell, Birmingham, and Pitt Tyson Manor, Montgomery, served on the state identity committee.

There was a scriptural reading by Dr. T. L. McDonald, pastor; Dr. L.E. Barton, Dr. B. F. Tingle, district superintendent; Rev. Harrison McMains, and prayer by Rev. J. F. Akin. William Brockman Bankhead was buried in the Bankhead family plot at Oakhill Cemetery in Jasper, Alabama.