Jasper's First United Methodist Church was placed on the National Register of Historical Places
These words were part of the history provided in the Nomination Form provided to the U.S. Parks Service for being listed in the National Register:
"This is the fifth house of worship for Jasper's oldest religious congregation. The original meetinghouse was a log structure—formerly used as a community school, assembly hall, and church—which was deeded to the Methodists on June 14, 1833. This structure continued to serve the Methodist congregation for a quarter of a century until 1858 or 1859, when a frame building was erected on the present site, largely through the efforts and generosity of one church member, Mrs. Amanda Savage. On March 27, 1865, this building, along with the nearby Walker County Courthouse and Masonic hall, was burned by a detachment of Michigan soldiers from the command of General James Wilson."
The remainder of this historical account can be found on page 6 of the PDF copy of the original Nomination Form. Click To Download - Nomination Form Photo Supplement Here.